Thursday, December 04, 2003

the reverse migration begins

I said I would talk about pinoy comedy. I went to Al Manalo's last stand up comedy act this side of the ocean a week ago. Al was one of the first Fil-Ams hitting the comedy club circuit and went on to be a key player at Bindlestiff studios. Well, he's got a new gig now managing the Comfort Room in Makati, an American style stand up comedy house in the Philippines. I'm really happy for him. It's a good move. Besides, adds yet another living room to crash when I go back to the Philippines.

Rex became a HUGE hit when he went back and a few other funny Fil-Ams have followed, some with similar success.

The show was being produced by a college friend, Mario Ubalde. It was ironic watching his routine, obviously first envisioned 8 years ago from hanging out at the Bear's Lair as many of the Pinoys at Cal did at the time.

One of my favorites of the night was Sheng Wang with his droll tone delivery that made the jokes that much funnier. "my mother ran to me and gave me the ancient Chinese sign of deep affection...one hand on my shoulder."

I also enjoyed Samantha Chanse's performance, though it probably wasn't the right crowd. The way she asked why her Amish German/Dutch side wasn't as exoticized as her Chinese side or the searing mockery of Slam Poetry, which I think went over the Vallejo audience's heads. Certainly, if you cruise the San Francisco Asian American arts scenes, you'd be laughing your ass off.

Not that Vallejo folks aren't artsy, but her jokes certainly came from a south of market kind of edge. The venue, Fetterly Playhouse, sits behind the new Seafood City that anchors the Max's Fried Chicken and other pinoy-related stores. To get there, you drive to the back and walk down this WIDE alley that you could drive two rows of cars through. It's not really dark, just dim and it's really clean. Mario had gotten a call from his cousin who said they didn't want to go down the alley, it was too scary. hmmm....they've obviously not crossed the new Carquinez bridge, much less the bay bridge to get to say Bindlestiff.

After the show, I went backstage to give my regards and hugs to Allan. They left the following week. We continued the laughs from onstage...backstage joking around with Allan and his new life ahead.

Mario declares, "OK, Michelle is doing stand-up in January!"

I look at him like he's crazy, but wouldn't mind tempting the Fates. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. He hasn't emailed me about anything yet.

The SO and I have had a grand time though thinking up potential comedy routines. I'll talk about both being and seeing the "dumb-ass American" in the Philippines and he can be Cardinal Sin's bakla priest cousin. OK, so it's still on the developing stages.

It's scary really. To be funny, in the spotlight. One thing to be funny just hanging out with folks, but to be funny for 20 minutes. I've watched Rex Navarrete refining his form over the years, truly an artist! (He'll be at Bindlestiff, Tuesday, Dec 9 and he's coming out with a DVD so you can replay him over and over.)

We'll see. Doesn't hurt to just play with the idea.

No comments: