Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Sinus Remedies and other bloggedy stuff

Tatang missed a bit of the snorting warm water recipe. (I know, cuz I watched Joey demonstrate. I thought he was crazy. It's really one of those Ayurvedic practices. I've seen watering cans just to do this thing.) You're supposed to add a bit of salt to the warm water. This, for you need of a scientific explanation, creates a solution that is similar to body fluids like blood or snot that your nose is used to feeling. OK, so that's pretty gross, but do you want to breathe again or not?

OK, so you got the warm salt water, now you take a bit of a breath to fill your lungs, leaving a bit of room to inhale the salt water and keep it out of your lungs. Hold the water in your nose then exhale it out.

The warm water, like inhaling steam, loosens the phlegm and relaxes your sinuses that are totally inflamed. It's much kinder to your nostrils than forcefully blowing it out dry which creates a great deal of pressure in your nasal cavities.

Hey, I didn't believe it worked either, but then I got sick and utterly desperate wanting to breathe through my nose again and said what the hell, why not drown over your sink. Taking the initial breathe prevents you from drowning.

===

And about Eileen's dog, Achilles, getting felt up. Ironically, as such a fine breed of a pup, this is part of his way of life. These champion dogs are bred to get felt up and not complain. Have you ever watched those competitions on PBS? That's all the judges do is feel up your dog checking all the proper measurements for its breed. The dogs are trained to stand in the proper posture, head erect, tail still, while they are checked out and handled.

As a human, this act of feeling up a dog, seems unnatural, then again dogs sniff each other all the time and maybe I'm just nakakahiya about the ways of dogs.

===

heh, it was raining the day the Watcher, who had recently self-declared to be a born-again Pagan, was asked to be the Catholic godmother of our friend's kid. I was making sure I wasn't standing too close when the lightning hit. Then again, maybe it's proof that God doesn't really care that much about these little things humans seem to bicker over like which religion will really be allowed in heaven.

===

I told Chatelaine that my own weeping would be done soon. I have to allow even my own sadness its space to express itself, in the way I let each poem do so. Then I can let it go.

===

I'll be spending Xmas eve at the DMV trying to get my license renewed. It expires on Saturday. I lost to bureaucracy. Apparently, when you change your address for car registration, they don't change your address for the driver's license. I guess that makes sense, you can drive a car without owning one sure. But who owns a car that someone in their household does not drive? May I get my Christmas wish come true that the DMV lines be short and that my test answers be accurate.

No comments: