Wednesday, November 26, 2003

ay, nakakainis!

One of my favorite words, "nakakainis" = something that is annoying. [nah-Kah-kah-ee-NEESE] I like how saying it even sounds annoying. Nakakainis! like something that just gets underneath your skin. Nakakinis!

Nakakainis #1 - spent 3 months working on setting up this Macintosh server at work. the staff is starting to use it. lots of little problems popping up. which is fine. but I can't stand when my Windows platform coworkers declare failure and instantly try to think up some Windows answer to the problem that hasn't been tested, hasn't been worked out. "Let's start from scratch and use a whole other system and machine, etc."

Ironically, I might have found out these little problems earlier if said tech guy had read previous emails to the group asking the Windows tech people for some help in checking to see if it works. As a Mac person, I try to be open to the use of the other platforms, I really do. But give it a chance, why don't ya! It's amazing. Windows tech people will spend days and days trying to fix something, tweak something til it's semi-stable. But the second a Mac starts to break, they give up.

And they wonder why Mac people are so "defensive" and why we can't help but gloat when they're running around patching up the latest attack on machines.

Nakakainis #2 - The Last Samurai
I saw the trailer for this movie before "Matrix: revolutions." My friend behind me commented, "I'm so glad white people are there to tell our story. How else do we get onto the big screen?" Certainly the "way" they are marketing this is quite nakakainis.

From Paolo Javier:

"Casting beautiful Asian women for Warner Bros.' The Last Samurai PremiereAfter-party to be held in Westwood on Dec 1st.. Women will be dressed as village women from the film's wardrobe department and mingle 'in character'through the party, helping to create the ambience of ancient Japan, circa 1870's. There is no pay, but a chance to be part of this year's biggest Hollywood premiere with a guest list including Tom Cruise and the rest of The Last Samurai's fantastic cast!!

If interested please forward a picture and information ASAP to:

Cheryl Rave
Entertainment Producer
Warner Bros. Special Events


Why do I sense the exploitation of Asian women exoticism? Why aren't Asian men asked to come out in 1870s dress to be 'in character'? And I like the aspect that there's "NO PAY" for a big blockbuster movie like this? My only compensation is to be relatively "near" a superstar that will probably walk right past me? thanks.

Nakakainis #3 - SPAM email about how Kali is not a real term in relation to Filipino Martial arts
I do not know who this art of war guy on yahoo is. And I don't know why he's sending me his response to quotes from Leo Gaje, Jr. the head of the Pekiti Tersia Kali International association. Apparently, he has some issue with Mr. Gaje's explanation for the term Kali, which I must say, don't make much sense, but neither do the responses. I get email like this now and then about how there is no "proof" that Kali was ever used for Filipino martial arts and how it is a "new" term in comparison to "arnis" and "escrima" which are Spanish terms. Everybody wants proof. Everybody wants some piece of paper that certifies authenticity. Everybody wants to be more "indigenous" than the other. Where does this get anyone? As if they've taken up the role of cultural police.

As far as I know the term Kali was told to my teacher by Grandmaster Largusa who said he got it from his teacher, who was certainly using it well before 1957, the year most people quote the term Kali first being used. And whether or not it is a new term or an old term, it's being used now and that's valid enough for me. What I don't get is that I've seen all sorts of schools make up new terms and new titles, all the time!

It's unfortunately true that the Philippines due to wars, colonization and simply the tropical weather, has lost artifacts that could possibly tell us more about the history of its people. In reality, we may never know. And I may never have the kind of "proof" that art of war at yahoo will ever find "valid," but I have the one that counts deep in my heart of hearts.

All I can say, may art of war at yahoo find his/her "truth."

No comments: