Sunday, February 27, 2005

Comfort in Times of Sorrow

OK, so I told myself that I would cut back on performing and such to keep as much "free" time open for the wedding thing. Obviously, the hugeness of the "wedding thing" hasn't quite hit me yet, though I believe we're making good progress.

Anyway, I couldn't really resist saying "yes" to a few folks. Let me tell you, there's nothing better than working with folks that are part of your mutual admiration club. OK, so I'd to hope that the mutual admiration goes both ways with these folks. I really do. Regardless, I'm a fan of their work at least, even if I'm not quite sure if they are a fan of mine.

First up, I'll be directing the Kreatibo Collective's next show at Bindlestiff at the end of April. I've performed or assisted in their previous shows and just enjoy the work and the productions they put together. How they don't settle for doing the same show they did last time, but really challenging themselves to ut out the next evolution of the show. Always asking themselves, "where to go from here?" As a Queer Pinay collective, they often challenge notions of gender and identity that really takes these discussions to another level and allows the audience to see another layer to topics we may have seen before. Plus, they're just a whole lot of fun!

I'm quite honored to get a chance to direct their show. I've slowly been moving into this director capacity as of late. And this time, I get to assist the process from the relative beginning. I realized one of my fortes is helping folks bring something from page to stage. Helping the artists engage the audience to up the ante in a performance of their work. And I find this work ridiculously exciting! I love the collaboration, the group vision. Watching a project go from an idea on paper to a work that the crowd reacts to. Exhilirating!

Next person I couldn't refuse this year, was Nancy Hom. Nancy had been head of Kearny Street Workshop for decades before stepping down a few years ago. We were in one of the creative writing classes KSW together. Nancy was mostly a visual artist but wanted to try out creative writing. Nancy's writing in that class blew me away. I still remember this one piece she wrote, a visually breathtaking pastoral scene juxtaposed to a lynching. I remember it because it was so emotionally stunning at its extremes.

Anyway, as part of APICC this year (their new calendar isn't up yet), there's going to be a reading of various writers, reading their work related to/inspired by Nancy's work "Comfort in Times of Sorrow." Tentatively May 17 at Somarts. I'm quite honored to read for Nancy and doubly so for an event showcasing her work.

It's really events like these that make me enjoy being an artist. Sure there's the "business" of being an artist and the "politics" of being an artist, but I really the art of being an artist. And I'm glad that I have a life that allows me to enjoy this love affair.

No comments: