Wednesday, August 31, 2005

comfort food

One of my clients has a monthly pot luck lunch so they can chat and meet the various people who are working away in the isolated cubicles. This month the pot luck was also a going away party for one of them. The theme this month was comfort food. On Monday, I ended up signing up for arroz caldo. It's what I think about when I think about comfort food. That and champorado. My mother would often cook these two dishes. I loved the way the rice would darken from the chicken bone marrow.

I told the Fiance about it on Tuesday saying that I would need to go to the store after Kali class and cook it that evening. I'm not exactly sure what made me think I'd have time to do all of that, but then again, my mind has been a bit loopy this week. I've been forgetting things, mixing up times.

The Fiance volunteered to cook it. I said, Really? Are you sure? Because usually he tells me how I've overextended myself and shouldn't have volunteered or that I should switch it with something else. He even dropped it off at my office for me. I'm just about the luckiest person in the world! It turned out very delicious. People enjoyed the mix of ginger, garlic, and chicken pieces. One guy said the ginger reminded him of the similar dish he had in Hawaii, but I think it was just those Filipinos making it. Some people even kept an extra bowl for their afternoon snack. And this office is quite a group of gourmand eaters, so when something is good, something is good!

Some people need diamonds and expensive gifts to have their partners show them love. I just need a bowl of arroz caldo with extra ginger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want the chicken, the rice... and the diamonds. Hopefully not in the same bowl (unless of course, it's my shiny engagement ring :snicker:).

But really, any man who will intercept the salespeople before they speak to me at a store, that's a keeper. ;-)