Saturday, June 16, 2007

saturday at home

The hubby went north on his trek to find the rest of his mother's family tree. He found a relative who has now traced the family back to the 1850s. They certainly weren't a family of sharecroppers.

In the meantime, I stayed at home to do homey stuff since it feels like I haven't been home the entire week. I was thinking about going to a martial arts gathering this morning in downtown Oakland, but instead I crushed graham crackers for my strawberry cheesecake crust. I had seen a recipe for the ultimate cheesecake on the Food Network once and since then, I had been wanting to make cheesecake. I even picked up a spring form pan earlier in the week and finally opened our cuisinart mixer we received as a wedding gift.

I don't like cooking as much as I like baking. And it was a rather simple recipe. Instead of the blueberry topping, I decided to make a strawberry sauce from the berries we had picked up from the market last week. That was alot simpler than I had thought it would be and it looks like a basic recipe I could use with any berry.

It was fun finally unpacking the mixer. And I thumbed through the enclosed recipe book for the next thing to make.

While waiting for the cheesecake to cook, I rearranged a closet, folded some clothes and went through a few more boxes. I know I did alot, a part of me feels like I barely made a dent, but that may be because I wasn't touching the piles I had been avoiding. sigh. Then again, I ended up doing alot of stuff around it. OK, I'm going to have to suck it up and set the timer. In the meantime, the strawberry sauce is cooling, and I wait for the neighbors to finish drying their clothes and think about how nice it would be to live in a single family home with a garden and kitchen counter space.

No comments: