Sunday, February 24, 2008

favorite place on the web right now

My favorite place on the web right now is not Facebook, though I spend quite a bit of time there. No, my favorite place on the web right now is a place called, Live Mocha. It's a social networking site focused on language learning. They provide basic lessons in English, French, German, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, and Hindi.

So far I've signed up for the French and Spanish lessons. I've only glanced at the Chinese and Hindi. I don't think I could learn Mandarin on the internet. Those languages still intimidate me into terms of learning them. But it is nice to be able to keep up with the French and strengthen the Spanish.

The nice part is that it also provides written and speaking segments where you record statements that are then "graded" or commented on by a native speaker of that language. So, I've commented on written and oral statements submitted by those studying English. I haven't tried the other forums yet, but look forward to getting practice time with native speakers and such over the internet.

No comments: