Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Average Joe

OK, so I had a rare free evening on Monday to watch TV. I ended up watching two reality shows Fear Factor and Average Joe.

Sitting on my couch, Fear Factor seems easy. OK, just about everything seems easy sitting from my couch. I mean they do get hooked up on all these harnesses and stuff. And if you are about to literally choke, they got folks to pull you out.

I skimmed through parts of the Second Joe Millionaire. The first time around, ok, I must admit, I was sucked in with everyone else. The second time around just isn't as appealing now that I know the punchline. I just want them to fast forward to the last day.

In contrast to Joe Millionaire, there was Average Joe, where this NFL cheerleader has to pick amongst "Average Joes" most of whom are on the nerdy side and say stuff like, "I've had sex with very very very very very very very very very very very very few women." They are accountants, Phd students, computer geeks, who aren't the fittest guys nor model handsome, but they've got a lot of heart. Like when some of the guys get voted off, they're more sorry to see them go than the girl was. It's harder to watch the rejection as well.

I have to admit, I've always rooted for the geek/nerd/dweeb and have often been attracted to those types over the "hunky, model" types who I often found to be such jerks. The Average Joe always seemed more real. So, I couldn't help but watch and root for them, because I know that a lot of women would pass up the "Average Joe" and put up with the punk personality hunk instead. Pick the guy who spends more time in front of the mirror than spend it with you? I don't get it.

No comments: