Tuesday, June 29, 2004

posts that never make it

Been meaning to post lately, but have been plagued with bad internet connections that crash out my system before I can hit "publish post." Of course, I could "save as draft" but frankly I never really go back to said drafts because I can never get back into the moment of the thought. There have also been a couple of others that I actually wrote out, then erased because the thoughts haven't quite coalesced yet.

For instance, I wanted to write a post about Filipino dining and reading habits. There's something about the colonized self-view that keeps Filipinos from reading ourselves. Again, this thought process hasn't quite blossumed yet.

Or the post on way too many weddings this year on people's reasons and ways they are taking the plunge (I swear that post will be most interesting than what's fashionable this wedding season and awful bridesmaid's dresses.

Then there's the one about my car being in the shop. Another what cars symbolize in our lives post.

But I suppose most of that will take a back burner, because end of next week, I'm starting the "Master Cleanse" diet, aka Lemonade Diet. Doing it together with a friend. You know peer pressure is good. OK, people who have seen me are like, "what the f**k are you doing on a diet?"

First off, I'm not doing it to lose weight. I don't even own a scale. And based on the readings when I got to my parent's house, my weight doesn't fluxuate that much, plus or minus 5 pounds off my standard weight.

Anyway, I've always wanted to do a fast, but I think water-only is a bit extreme and I didn't want to go bankrupt going to jamba juice doing for a juice fast. Plus, I heard good things from friends who had done this diet. You can google it and find out the exact details. The gist is that you drink lemonade (specifically made with maple syrup, cayenne pepper, and fresh lemons) for 10 days, then wean yourself back to solid foods. In the meantime, you do still get enough sugar and nutrients from the lemonade to go about your day, while your body (liver, kidneys, etc) get a break from all the meats and processed food you dump into your system which gives your digestive system time to get rid of stuff that's been sitting around. (I won't go into those gory details for now.)

The way we calculate it, it will take 2 weeks to get into and out of the diet. You can't just overload your system with a Big Mac after the fast, you have to get out slowly. And so, to keep the peer pressure, my friend and I said we would blog of the experience. I think it will be interesting. I'm a food person, so it will be interesting to step back and see how much food affects my every day life. Some friends who have tried it said it was life altering. One of them became vegetarian, while another didn't, she's limited her meat intake. I mean, as a Filipino, how much of our lives is about and around food?

It's really about giving your body a break and thinking about what we do to our bodies. Plus people tell me, with all that liquid being consumed, your skin looks absolutely fabulous! I'll let you know!

No comments: