Thursday, July 08, 2004

water water everywhere

So, I'm going to start a Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet/Fast on Saturday. My friend, D, will be my partner-in-crime peer pressure influence. For years I had heard of different fasts, (water, juice, etc), but they seemed kind of scary. But, based on the SO's biology knowledge of food and sugar processes in the body, this lemonade diet seems to allow the body to rejuvenate itself without actually starving.

The diet requires 10 days of a specifically made lemonade, made with maple syrup and a dash of cayenne pepper, about 8 cups a day, plus any additional water or mint tea you may also want to enjoy. In the meantime, your body takes a break from breaking down fats, proteins and processed foods, and helps clear out the system and all 30 some odd feet of your intestinal tract.

My interest in a fast is one of exploration. I'm always down for trying something new or at least to try something once just to see, both for the experience and just to see if I can do it.

My friends who have gone on it before say you have enough energy to get through your regular day. The only drawback is that you get sick and bored of drinking the same thing. They even say they come out really energized.

D is fortunate enough to be able to hide out in her abode. The closer I get to the diet days every email seems to bring on additional opportunties for wonderful food. For instance, a friend invited us to sunday brunch, while another exquisite cook offered a pancake breakfast the first day of the fast. And on a daily basis I walk down Telegraph in Berkeley past Indian, Chinese, Thai, Pizza, Italian, Mexican restaurants, so this will be an interesting challenge. The other day I thought, I'm going to miss eating bread. Grant it, I'm only really giving it up for a week, but I still had this fondness for the food.

It's also interesting to see how many of my interactions are based around a meal. Being Filipino, food is the crux of many relationships. To refuse any food, any baon leftover, is an afront. Perhaps it's not so much the food itself, but how food and good food reinforces the relationships. Tells the brain, this person you share a meal with is also nourishment. So, I've had to politely explain and postpone various eating engagements. For the most part, the friends I have are what I call "good food" people. People who enjoy flavor and smells and satisfying meals.

Our minimum goal is at least 5 days, but we're striving for the full ten. I'll just be happy if I can get through the weekend.

No comments: