Monday, June 27, 2005

Louisiana Fried Chicken

Merritt Bakery has always been a fried chicken staple in Oakland. A few years ago there was Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. There's also another chicken and waffle place in Jack London, but I haven't tried it. The latest add on is Louisiana Fried Chicken in downtown Oakland on Broadway near Grand Ave. Inside a mural of the family home in Louisiana on the left wall.

I had the 3-piece Chicken wings combo with dirty rice, added a piece of fried catfish and switched out the roll for the hotwater corncake. The chicken was nicely crispy, a bit salty, and had a good flavor. Not a strong spiciness at first, but the heat slowly built up. The dirty rice (spicy rice with meat bits) had more heat to it but not as raging hot as I expected. Catfish was really good. You can also get snapper or shrimp. But I really loved the hotwater corncake, which is this dense flat corn disk, slightly sweet, moist, with a delicious texture, certainly worth switching out the regular roll.

Additional sides include: greens, yams, coleslaw, mac and cheese. Dessert includes peach cobbler, sweet potato pie and 7-up cake. Pie was still in the oven and wasn't going to be done for another hour. Hmmm I'll just have to come back to try the rest of them.

4 comments:

Randy said...

Hmmm... another possible exception to my pescatarian ways?

God, Iron Chef is soooooo not helping my non-meat eating side.

Rock said...

I always stop at the Merritt Bakery to pick up pies and cakes for dinner parties. Their cheesecakes are delicious! But the new Albertson's next door is a madhouse.

Gura said...

Hey Randy, they've got fried fish (snapper, catfish, shrimp). And I think I could get full off of greens, cornbred, yams, and mac & cheese. besides, there's peach cobbler!

Rock, that new Albertson's finally opened? that thing is monsterous!

Rona Fernandez said...

Oh my god it's so funny, I googled 'Louisiana Fried Chicken' and your blogpost came up as entry #4! We gotta go to lunch here one of these days, M.

peace, rona