Sunday, August 28, 2005

synergy

You know how you don't think your friends don't know each other, but then you find out they do. The weekend was full of those kinds of run-ins of "hey, how do you know them?" or "My half-sister went to the same school you did" of "I work with your cousin". Now, this often happened to me, but I think as we get closer to our wedding, it seems like the Fiance is starting to do it to.

Had a great time at our bridal shower. The Fiance made the comment that alot of the friends who happened to make it that night were all in some kind of transition: babies, careers, change in life. He saw something in them, a similar resonance, and it wasn't just us. We were glad we got to go around and chat with people. It's always so difficult to sit and chat with anyone on the wedding day especially when you're the wedding couple. And it was nice for some of our friends to meet each other.

Bridal shower games were conducted by my cousins. L was perfect on the word scramble and celebrity couples. The guess my age in the picture was a particularly difficult game. There was also a game where they were supposed to guess the answers to questions about me and the Fiance like, what his first gift to me was and where I first trip was together. Frankly, I didn't know half of the questions myself and actually he didn't know a couple of them either, so we made up the answers to the ones we didn't know. Seven years is a long time to forget details like that.

Of course they played the "make a wedding dress out of toilet paper". The young guy cousins as competitive as they are decided to try it out cuz well there are prizes involved. They really didn't care what the prizes were, they just wanted a prize. In another group, L's husband I, being the shortest one became the model. The last team consisted of the girl cousins. Obviously, my guy cousins don't pay attention to what women wear because they made this tunic thing that just didn't hold up. The other two dresses were quite impressive with one going for a "Josephine Baker" styling complete with B cup and head dress.

I'll leave the list of bridal shower gifts out of this blog post. Mostly PG, a few R rated ones, and at home we opened some explicitly X rated ones. Each present was full of innuendoed jokes between us and the crowd. I had to stop it a bit before it got too raunchy amongst the family crowd, though I couldn't quite tell which of the family members picked up on the sarcasm.

Today we spent at a 18th wedding anniversary for some friends, where the Fiance ran into a fellow LSQC alum. It was a wonderfuly party because V & B are some of the most welcoming people. People sang at the piano, chatted on the deck. People I didn't think I knew, were connected to me in some way or another. When we left the party, I asked the Fiance if our lives could have parties like that. And what I was asking really was about building our lives and communities with an essence of love and warmth.

41 days to go...

No comments: