Tuesday, January 16, 2007

tickets to the underground

I love hunting for travel deals! And all the more fun with this spring trip to Europe! Since it's Europe, you can actually find alot of deals online and purchase alot of your travel needs in advance. This is a much different experience than when I go to Asia where it's better to find a place when you get there and pay cash for the better deal, plus that most of the places you really want to get to don't have online purchasing.

I was able to buy a couple of passes for the Underground (London's metro rail) which got us a 2 for 1 deal on Les Miserables tickets. The other thing about buying early is that I can try to time it to getting a good exchange rate on the British pound and Euro.

So far we've booked our flights, our inn in London, our hotel in Paris, tickets to Les Miserables, tickets to the Underground. There's only a couple more things that I'd like to book before we go, one of them the overnight train from Paris to Madrid which isn't yet available to purchase online.

We're still looking for a hotel in Spain, but might not book that until we reach Europe as that will give us access to various other places to stay.

The rest of it we'll figure out when we get there. The internet is vast but it doesn't provide you will all the opportunity available. Again, I tend to plan for how to get there and where we're staying. What we see and what we do is another thing. There are important people to visit and spend time with, but I always figure that whatever we don't get to, we'll get to another time. Besides, I'm on vacation, it's good to have some unscheduled adventure time. Plus too, it's hard to say how long it takes to get from one point to antoher if you've never been there, so creating a point to point schedule has a way of imploding once you get there. And especially if you go to countries where being on time really isn't a high priority, being a type A personality is the quickest way of ruining your trip.

It's this philosophy travel that had me weeding a community taro pond in Hawaii, which I discovered at a Women's conference I hadn't heard of until a woman at the bus stop to Diamondhead told me about. It's also what got me living in a treehouse in Camiguin for a week and hopping in and out of nearly every northern town in Mindanao.

It's important I think to simply remember to enjoy where you are, when you are.

2 comments:

The Lettershaper said...

Very much enjoyed my leisurely stroll through your world...as a poet and an avid reader, I found it both enriching and enlightening. I thank you...

Ernesto said...

Would be cool to meet you in London for a drink, if you have time and are into it.

:)