Monday, July 30, 2007

on the menu

Chili
iron skillet corn bread

I had a craving for chili and not the canned variety. It's relatively easy to make, chop, chop, dump, saute, can, can, can, dump, simmer. Nice part too about chili is that you don't have to be super dainty about whether the ingredients are chopped to a similar consistency. Though once I did it with chunks of sirloin slightly charred.

Maybe I'll eat the chili Tennessee style with corn chips at the bottom of the bowl.

Now that I'm avoiding Bisquick and the boxed cake mixes, I'm finding that breads and cakes are the same basic ingredients over and over with slight variation: flour, baking soda, sugar, salt, oil/butter, and milk/buttermilk. I also figured out that I can just buy the small pint sized twist top milk containers instead of the full quart which we never finish drinking.

From the time I got back to the store, it took about 45 minutes to get everything to the simmer and bake point. Not bad. Pretty quick.

No comments: